Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Unbroken

Well, I tried to read Killing Patton, but I couldn't get into the battles and military movements. Instead, I opted for another WWII non-fiction. Fortunately, I hadn't seen the movie so I was partially ignorant to the story (besides what previews had offered).

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Genre: non-fiction, biography, World War II,
Publication Date: November 2010
Setting: the life of Louie Zamperini (California, Hawaii, the Pacific)

Well, this Zamperini guy is incredible. California trouble-maker becomes an Olympic runner, joins the Army during World War II, works in a B-24 bomber, crashes into the Pacific and survives life at sea with crew mates, then is picked up by the Japanese and enters into several very hostile and extreme POW camps.

I don't know how else I can explain it. But that's the story. This guy, this guy who does not give up, lives an incredible life, and survives! Obviously, he lives, but the story is far from a happy one.

Finished reading: Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DD's Rating: B+
A bit too long at times and like I said, not a happy book. Several times I wished for it to just end and not have to read about all the strife the misery, I did not want to read more. My grandmother also told me to stop reading and end the depression, but I had to finish (at least for the sake of my blog).

Next read: Room by Emma Donoghue

No comments:

Post a Comment