Monday, June 15, 2015

Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me?

Somehow my checkout of Not That Kind of Girl expired, but fortunately I still have Mindy to turn to for a good laugh and chick lit. Which is nice because I prefer Mindy and The Office to Lena and Girls.

Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Genre: Comedy, nonfiction/autobiography
Publication Date: November 2011

Mindy Kaling is the female comedian I (and most of my lady-friends) can relate to. She is upper middle class, family-oriented, not a loser and not popular in high school, earns an Ivy League education, and still enjoys doughnuts and reality TV. The fact that she is a minority (being Indian and bigger than a size 4) makes her even more relatable! Therefore everything she writes about I could see myself saying and agreeing with if I were in her line of work. I am no writer and only have a little bit of comedy in me, but she is the female funny girl who represents me (with darker skin and more meat on her bones).

I enjoyed this book a little bit more than Tina's and Amy's maybe because Mindy is a little less outrageous than Amy Poehler and a little less successful/established than Tina Fey. She is younger, hipper, single, doesn't do drugs, and (like me) gets confused about what "hooking up" actually means. She doesn't do one-night-stands, she doesn't get into the whole LA/NYC celeb party scene. She's like the comedian version of Jennifer Lawrence (who I also want to be my best friend).

Additionally, and probably why I'm so enamored with her, she rates the Will Ferrell scene in Old School where he shoots himself with the tranq dart as one of her favorite pieces of comedy. In outright truth, I rate that as my ALL-TIME FUNNIEST SCENE. Even reading about it has me in a fit of giggles. I'm that my appreciation of humor is on par with Mindy's. Also we both love Dave Chappelle's Racial Draft, but honestly who doesn't?

Now I may actually watch the Mindy Project, after I finish season 3 of Orange is the New Black (obvs).

Finished reading: Monday, June 15, 2015

DD's Rating: A
I would say about on par with Amy Poehler's Yes Please and Tina Fey's Bossypants. She says she is not like her character Kelly Kapoor, but I hear Kelly in her writing, they are a little too similar and she needs to own up to it. But otherwise awesome.

Side note - I would really appreciate it if Alec Baldwin wrote an autobiography (another one, not something mildly depressing about Fatherhood and Divorce), but in the manner of Bossypants and with a Jack Donaghy vibe. I'm begging for this.

Next read: Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. I hope to finish this by Friday, when my awesome and generous man friend will let me borrow his copy of Killing Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment