Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Pillars of the Earth

I have completed my Master's program and completed my "internship" as a high school science teacher and am now on summer break! My break officially started June 5th, and from then until now I have finished 4 books. I was starved for literature! I had replaced novels with lesson plans and I am happy to be back in the world of the written word (although I miss my Bio babes desperately).

This book was recommended to me, with high praise, from my boyfriend's father. He mentioned that it was long, but I really was not ready for how long (816 pages that felt like over a thousand). But my idle hands found my Kindle and I completed it.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Genre: Historical fiction
Publication Date: 1989
Setting: 1100s England

This work details the building of a cathedral at Kingsbridge. Seems simple enough, but there are several characters at play - Tom the Builder and his family, Philip the Prior, the wicked Hamleighs, a damsel removed from her birthright, and a manipulative bishop. Each character has their own agenda and does their best to achieve their goals. Tom wants to build a cathedral so that he can be employed and support his family. Philip wants to reform Kingsbridge priory to make it prosperous and divine. William Hamleigh (and his parents) wants to become Earl of Shiring so he can take what he wishes (including Aliena, whom he imagines taking by force). Aliena wants her father's earldom returned to her brother. An Bishop Waleran wants to be Pope (or gain as much power in the Catholic Church as he can).

The book is set in 12th century England so it is a bit medieval. It's easy to compare the book to Game of Thrones - there are clear good guys and bad guys, there are castles, there are kingdoms (but there are no dragons or other fantasy elements). From a GoT aspect - William Hamleigh is Ramsay Bolton, wicked and twisted and does detestable acts for amusement. Aliena is Sansa, who is the object of the evil man's eye and whose family is ousted from their castle. Prior Philip is John Snow, someone people overlook, who is bound to duty (and celibacy), and who is clever, but most importantly, good.

Apparently this book is mostly historically accurate, although I wouldn't have a clue because I never paid attention to history outside of America. But it was interesting to read the medieval times and from different characters perspectives/POVs (also like Game of Thrones).

Finished reading: Friday, June 5, 2015

DD's reading: C
It was very average. The writing was alright, although I skimmed a lot of it because it felt so long. I honestly don't care for that time period, architecture, or kingdom/religious politics (I say this but I felt very differently about Killing Jesus). I'd rather finish Dance with Dragons, even with its never-ending character list.

No comments:

Post a Comment