Monday, January 12, 2015

Remember Me Like This

Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston

Genre: Fiction, Family Drama
Publication date: May 2014
Reason for read: I don't honestly remember. The kindle book was checked out from the Palm Beach Gardens library (even though I no longer live in FL, I still have my PBG library card memorized).
Interesting note: This is the debut novel for Bret Anthony Johnston, who is a lecturer in the English department at Harvard. Discovering that he is employed at such a prestigious university, I am surprised that I have never heard of him. I wonder if Stephen King ever taught at an Ivy...

First, I am not a fan of the title. The title makes you think the book is about someone who is lost or who has passed away. But the book is about the opposite, a missing boy is found 4 years after his kidnapping. The title makes no sense to me, unless it's a literary device or meant to be ironic.

Second, there is an affair. This isn't a spoiler, don't worry. I absolutely loathe cheating. I hate how last night Showtime's The Affair won a Golden Globe (I won't watch). I hate how entertainment and society condone and endorse cheating in relationships. I protest the movie Something Borrowed, which is a love story emerging from an affair. TL:DR - I hate cheaters/affairs.

Justin goes missing four years ago and is miraculously spotted at a flea market in a neighboring town. A big flag to me, why wasn't he spotted sooner? The family claims to have posted flyers with his picture on them all over their town and county, so how did it take four years to spot him? Justin had friends and a girlfriend, but none of these people saw the fliers or heard about him on the news and radio. I find that unbelievable. The book didn't really try to touch on what Justin went through during his time away - what was done to him, how he felt being away, should he try to escape. The novel is written from the point of view of different family members, the father, the mother, the brother, the grandfather, but not once from the point of view of Justin. Not even a concluding chapter about what's going through his head once he's home and supposedly safe from his kidnapper. Having his perspective would add a meaningful layer to this story.

However, I really enjoyed the family dynamics in this novel. Obviously I sympathize and empathize with the younger brother who is sometimes overlooked as his older brother is more important and requires more attention and care. Johnston portrayed the Campbell family well, how each dealt with the developments of Justin being found and resuming life as normal. After a crisis, it is difficult to go back to the way things were, and everyone is changed by how events play out.

Finished reading Monday, January 12th.

DD's Rating: B

Next read: TBD, I have reached maximum title holds for PBG and Lower Merion libraries. The holds most likely to come up are The Secret Life of Bees and The Pillars of the Earth. However, graduate classes resume tonight, so I will be reading endless Education articles and textbooks and my leisure reading may fall to the wayside. Maybe a Liane Moriarity or fluff novel since I'm ahead of reading schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment