Monday, January 19, 2015

The Theory of Everything

I am very pleased with my book-reading progress, but I want to extend my blog and add reviews/thoughts on noteworthy movies I watch throughout the year. My current movie goal is to watch the rest of the Oscar nominated films (in 2014 I watched Boyhood and The Grand Budapest Hotel). So I would like to put a big dent in the nominated list.

This past weekend we found a perfect movie theater called the Ritz at the Bourse, only a block away from Independence Hall. The theater and screen wasn't as massive as those found in Regal or AMC theaters, but it was perfect place to enjoy The Theory of Everything, and shows a bunch of other Oscar films (Foxcatcher, Birdman, WildWhiplash).

The Theory of Everything

Directed by James Marsh (Man on Wire)
Produced by Tim Bevan (Atonement), Eric Fellner (Fargo), Lisa Bruce
Starring: Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables) and Felicity Jones (Like Crazy)

The movie is based on Jane Hawking's (nee Wilde) memoir Traveling to Infinity. The movie was glorious. We meet Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) before he becomes seriously afflicted from ALS. He meets and courts Jane and their relationship is adorable. I enjoy how their relationship is built on intelligence and conversation, how they both want to pursue PhDs (one in physics one in arts/language), how they have religious and political discussions, and how their relationship is so dynamic and un-superficial. Jane stays with Stephen after hearing that he only has two years to live, and we see how they try to make it work (mostly successful). We see the challenges that both face - Stephen, his mind still brilliant but he is trapped in his immovable body; Jane, loyal, compassionate, and encouraging. I am not ashamed to admit that I teared up twice throughout the movie.

Eddie Redmayne did a phenomenal job, a stellar performance of someone who does not have control of their own body, but still is able to make others listen and laugh. I haven't seen the other films, but for now, I believe that Redmayne's performance will warrant him the Oscar for Best Actor.

Next film: American Sniper 

No comments:

Post a Comment